seeking

White House Warns U.S. Rivals Against Seeking Advantage

With President Trump hospitalized for coronavirus, a top White House official warned against any attempt by U.S. rivals to take advantage of a situation that security experts said presents a fertile ground for interference and disinformation.

White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien said Mr. Trump remains in charge and that any attempt by adversaries to seek an edge would be a mistake of “serious magnitude.”

“I think our adversaries know that the United States government is steady at the tiller and that we’re protecting the American people,” he said on CBS’s Face the Nation Sunday.

In an interview with the Journal, Mr. O’Brien, who last week met with a top Russian official in Geneva, said U.S. alerts haven’t been raised and there was no expectation that rivals such as North Korea, Iran, China and Russia were likely to pose a new threat.

“Any attempt by an adversary to take advantage of the fact that the president has been diagnosed with Covid[-19] would be a mistake of serious magnitude,” he said Friday in the interview. “I don’t expect any country to make that mistake.”

Other officials said that there has been no known threat of significance made by adversaries since Mr. Trump became ill. Mr. Trump tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday and was hospitalized Friday at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

More National Security News

Mr. O’Brien said Sunday that he expects to brief Mr. Trump, joined by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley on the national security situation. Defense Secretary Mark Esper is traveling in the Middle East. The briefing, which was to be conducted Sunday by video teleconference with Mr. Trump, is routine and not in response to any particular threat,

Tea garden workers in Bengal write to CM seeking legally binding wages

Workers of tea gardens in north Bengal have written to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee raising a host of issues concerning them such as wages, ownership of land and financial assistance for closed tea gardens.

“We continue to get only ₹176 that has been determined in an ad hoc manner. Agricultural workers have a minimum wage of ₹257, as do workers in cinchona plantations,” the workers of closed, abandoned and sick gardens said in their letter addressed to the Chief Minister.

The letter sought the government to fix a legally binding minimum wage rate for tea plantation workers and added that though an ‘advisory committee’ for the same was set up in 2014, it has not come up with a figure. The workers raised the issue of harassment by managements when they tried to withdraw their provident fund savings, pension or gratuity and not getting payment of dues (interim relief) as ordered by the Supreme Court.

“The tea plantation workers are also not getting their dues of Financial Assistance to the Workers of Locked Out Industries (FAWLOI) Scheme. Gardens such as Birpara, Torsa and Raimatang have been closed for almost a year but have not received FAWLOI payments, which are supposed to be paid within 3 months of closure,” the letter said.

The letter, signed by representatives of Paschim Banga Khet Majoor Samity and union leaders of tea garden workers, added that tea plantation workers have no rights on the land they and their ancestors have been working on for over 200 years.

The issue of tea garden workers was raised on several occasions in the administrative meetings chaired by Ms. Banerjee in north Bengal during the day. The Chief Minister said that the State government has started a project called Cha Sundari for providing houses to homeless workers of tea

Boston Police investigating attempted rape in Public Garden, seeking public’s help to ID suspect

Boston Police are seeking the public’s help to ID a suspect who allegedly tried to rape a woman in the Public Garden early Monday morning.



a tree in front of a building: BOSTON SUNDAY 0816: Nice for a walk with the kids on a mostly dry but cool and cloudy day, Sunday, August 16, 2020, in Public Garden in Boston. (Jim Michaud / MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)


© Provided by Boston Herald
BOSTON SUNDAY 0816: Nice for a walk with the kids on a mostly dry but cool and cloudy day, Sunday, August 16, 2020, in Public Garden in Boston. (Jim Michaud / MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)

Officers from the department’s Sexual Assault Unit responded at about 6 a.m. to a call for an assault with intent to rape in Boston Public Garden.

The victim told detectives that she was walking in the park when a man approached her and placed his hand over her mouth. The man made sexually explicit threats and tried to remove a piece of the woman’s clothing, she told police.

She was able to free herself from the man and get to safety.

The suspect is described as a Black man in his 20s or 30s, with a slim to medium build and short black dreadlocks.

The Boston Police Sexual Assault Unit is investigating and is asking anyone with information to call detectives at 617-343-4400.

People who want to remain anonymous can call the CrimeStoppers Tip Line at 1-800-494-TIPS or text the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463).

Continue Reading

Source Article