temporarily

Edmonton Convention Centre to be temporarily used to house homeless people

On Friday afternoon, the City of Edmonton announced a new step being taken to address its commitment to ending homelessness in Alberta’s capital, declaring that the Edmonton Convention Centre in the city’s downtown will be used as a temporary accommodation site during the COVID-19 pandemic.



a bench in front of a building: The Edmonton Convention Centre on Friday, October 9, 2020.


© Julien Fournier, Global News
The Edmonton Convention Centre on Friday, October 9, 2020.

“The pandemic created a gap in services and increased the number of people falling into homelessness each month,” interim city manager Adam Laughlin said in a news release.

“This temporary facility provides those people with safety, services, and a pathway to permanent housing.”

READ MORE: Edmonton mayor asks province for $17M in annual funding for supportive housing services 

The city has been ramping up efforts to address the homelessness issue in recent weeks after large encampments were established in the Rossdale and Old Strathcona areas.

According to the city, there are about 2,000 people without a place to live in Edmonton, and about 600 of those are sleeping outside or “unsheltered” on any given night.

Earlier this week, Mayor Don Iveson announced the city plans to use $8 million from Edmonton’s share of federal restart funding to open and run a new centre to support homeless and vulnerable people by the end of the month.

READ MORE: Edmonton announces new $8M city-run homeless centre will open by end of October

“As operators of an important community asset, we need to be open to pivoting our business to support our community and vulnerable populations as we navigate this pandemic together,” Arlindo Gomes, vice-president of venue management for Explore Edmonton, said Friday.

“We have prepared our venues to welcome guests while adhering by strict health and safety standards and all Government of Alberta requirements.”

The Edmonton Convention Centre on Jasper Avenue near 97

808 Bar & Kitchen temporarily closes as stricter Covid-19 measures make it ‘impossible’ to operate

The announcement was made on Sunday evening (October 4) via social media although it is hoped the closure will only be for a short period of time.

Local lockdown restrictions have forced the temporary closure of the venue with owners stating that the strict policies have made it “impossible to operate”.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The bar will be closed until further notice due to stricter Covid-19 measures making it “impossible” to operate.

It becomes the latest venue in Sunderland to announce a temporary closure, with the owner of The Point, Ttonic and Glitterball confirming they would remain closed until a plan can be made to deal with the tighter measures.

The new rules mean that people can only socialise with their household in pubs and restaurants.

A statement on the 808 Bar & Kitchen Facebook page said: “As of today we regret to announce that we are temporarily closing the doors to 808, for what we are hoping will only be a short period.

“When we opened back up in July we were overwhelmed with the positive response to our new menu and the demand for bookings was high.

Read More

Read More

Woman dies and three fighting for their lives after Washington crash

“However, due to the impact of the local lockdown and the recently updated restrictions, we feel that our hands are tied and have no choice but to adapt to the current times, doing what we feel is right for both our staff, business and vision.

“The government’s strict policies have simply made it impossible for us to operate in a viable manner with certain aspects of the day-to-day running of a bar and restaurant now being deemed illegal.

“Thanks again for your unwavering support during these