- A company named “The White House Gift Shop” is selling a “Trump Defeats COVID” commemorative coin for $100.
- But the shop isn’t actually affiliated with the White House, and is a private, for-profit company that severed its ties to the government years ago.
- The coin designer and CEO of the store said the coin “features more than a hint of superhero qualities” in Trump.
- Trump has been portraying himself as having conquered his COVID-19 illness, even though he is still infectious, he received a host of treatments, and doctors say he isn’t in the clear yet.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The White House Gift Shop is selling a $100 “Trump Defeats COVID” commemorative coin that portrays the president as something of a “superhero,” but the shop isn’t actually affiliated with the White House itself.
The shop made the coin available for preorder on Monday, shortly before Trump returned from the Walter Reed medical center, where he spent four days being treated for the novel coronavirus.
The shop doesn’t yet have an image of what the coin will look like up of the coin, but it says that preorders will be shipped on November 14.
Anthony Giannini, the White House Gift Shop chairman who also designed the coin, said that when the shop heard about the president’s diagnosis “we had faith and prayed, yet we knew our President would find a way to knockout COVID in early rounds of this battle.”
“President Trump, as you know, is a fan of boxing, and the new coin design features more than a hint of superhero qualities in history’s most fascinating president.”
The site that 20% of the proceeds from the coin will go to