Fire

Halloween decor’s realism at Riverside home prompts multiple calls requesting fire department response

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) — A Riverside family’s Halloween decor is so realistic that multiple people have made emergency phone calls summoning firefighters to the home.

To say Carmen and Travis Long love Halloween is an understatement.

They began creating their “Pirates of the Caribbean”-themed creation three years ago.

“We’ve been adding things every year,” said homeowner Carmen Long. “It started with just skeletons, then we added a cannon in the back and the ship, the pretend fire on the side.”

Safe Halloween science ideas during COVID

The make-believe blaze is so realistic that passersby have called the fire department numerous times.

Onlookers can watch the creative show every Friday through Sunday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the corner of Chapman Place and Magnolia Avenue.

Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Source Article

Durham Fire Department notes increase in kitchen fires during COVID-19 pandemic

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) — The aftermath of a fire can be shocking.

“It’s more than just you burn up your favorite pan and have to throw it in the trash. And it can happen really, really quickly,” said Elaine Towner, Durham Fire Department life safety educator.

That’s why every October, the Durham Fire Department tries educate residents about fire safety before it’s too late.

This year is all about safety in the kitchen. Durham firefighters said they have seen an increase in kitchen fires during the pandemic.

“There are a lot of distractions going on in people’s’ homes because that’s where they are all the time and it’s really easy to lose track of what’s going on in your kitchen,” Towner said.

RELATED: Raleigh family escapes fire tragedy thanks to 4-year-old child’s quick thinking

Towner says the number one way to prevent a kitchen fire-don’t leave your stove unattended if you’re cooking and don’t leave anything on the counter that could catch on fire. If you’re cooking with grease, keep a pot lid nearby.

“If it flares up, put the lid on it and turn the stove off,” Towner said.

During fire prevention month, firefighters usually spend a lot of time talking to school groups to spread their safety messages, but the pandemic put those presentations on pause. For now, they’ve gone virtual by creating educational videos on their Durham Fire and Life Safety Facebook page.

Towner said firefighters are still answering calls for help.

“It does take a little bit longer to get all that PPE on and get into the home but they’re still coming. We’re still running calls,” Towner said.

If you would like to share those educational videos with your family, click here.

SEE MORE: Fire escape planning with your family

Durham Fire Department said teachers

Family identifies 4 killed in eastern Missouri house fire

DESOTO, Mo. — Four people killed in an eastern Missouri house fire included a married couple, their daughter and a granddaughter, the victims’ family members said.

Those killed in the early Sunday fire were Joe Detter, 76, and his wife, Frances Detter, 74, as well as their 37-year-old daughter Sherri Detter and 18-year-old granddaughter Kari Detter, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Two men who were boyfriends of the younger women escaped by jumping from second-story windows, but suffered serious burns. One of the surviving men was first to report the fire around 2 a.m. Sunday in De Soto, a city of about 6,300 people some 45 miles (72 kilometers) southwest of St. Louis.

The men were taken to burn centers in St. Louis for treatment.

James Detter, 49, of nearby Bloomsdale, is one of Joe and Frances Detter’s seven children. He said he last saw the family members around 5 p.m. Saturday, as they all put together baskets of donated items for an upcoming fundraiser.

“He helped everybody,” James Detter said of his father. “There isn’t a person in this town he hasn’t done something for. He is going to be missed by everyone.”

Fifteen fire departments were called to help put out the blaze, which was extinguished around 5 a.m. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

State Farm teams up with Scarborough Fire Department to serve up kitchen safety

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and State Farm agent Michelle Raber are teaming up with the Scarborough Fire Department to support Fire Prevention Week, an annual public awareness campaign promoting home fire safety.

State Farm agents are delivering Fire Prevention Week toolkits to more than 2,500 fire departments across the country, including Scarborough. Each toolkit includes resources for Fire Prevention Week, taking place Oct. 4-10, including brochures, magnets, posters and more. The Fire Department will be sharing these resources with schools and communities this fall in support of the campaign.

This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen” focuses on cooking fire safety. Home cooking fires represent the leading cause of all fires with nearly half – 49 percent – happening in the kitchen. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of these fires.

“The good news is that the majority of kitchen fires are highly preventable,” said State Farm agent Michelle Raber. “These great kits will help our fire departments spread the news to always stay focused when you’re in the kitchen and never leave the kitchen unattended.”

Key messages around this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign will include the following:

• Keep a close eye on what you’re cooking; never leave cooking unattended

• Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — at least three feet away from your stovetop.

• Be on alert. If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop.

For more information about Fire Prevention Week and this year’s theme, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen,” visit fpw.org.


« Previous


Next »

Fire Destroys Jefferson County Gazebo, Burns Courage Garden

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)– Jefferson County authorities are investigating after a fire destroyed a 25-year-old gazebo on Wednesday night. The gazebo was located in the Courage Garden outside the Jefferson County Government Center.



a man standing next to a tree


© Provided by CBS Denver


(credit: Jefferson County)

Golden firefighters rushed to put out the fire about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday but the gazebo, benches and part of the garden were lost.



a blurry image of smoke


© Provided by CBS Denver


(credit: Jefferson County)

The gazebo was built for and dedicated in honor of fallen Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Mossbrucker in 1995. It also honored crime victims and Jefferson County employees who have died.



a group of lawn chairs sitting on top of a wooden fence


© Provided by CBS Denver


(credit: Jefferson County)

Those interested in donating to the gazebo repairs are asked to visit JeffCo Courage Garden website and designate the donation to the gazebo.

Continue Reading

Source Article