held

Fauci says the White House held a coronavirus ‘superspreader event’

Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on Friday said the White House held a coronavirus “superspreader event,” referring to the White House ceremony for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett. 

“I think the data speak for themselves,” Fauci said during a CBS News Radio interview when speaking on the importance of mask wearing to curb the spread of COVID-19. 


Our country is in a historic fight against the Coronavirus. Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.


“We had a superspreader event in the White House, and it was in a situation where people were crowded together and were not wearing masks. So the data speak for themselves,” Fauci said. 

The comment from the nation’s top infectious diseases expert comes after nearly a dozen people who attended the Sept. 26 White House ceremony for Barrett’s nomination tested positive for COVID-19, including President Trump, the first lady, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, former White House counselor Kellyanne Conway and several others. 

Many of those in attendance sat close together in the White House Rose Garden, with many not wearing face coverings. 

The phrase “superspreader event” is used to describe places where the virus has spread to a large number of people. 

At least 34 White House staffers and other contacts have been infected with the coronavirus in recent days, according to a Federal Emergency Management Agency memo obtained by ABC News. 

Fauci also commented on the president’s use of the word “cure” for the experimental antibody cocktail he was given after his coronavirus diagnosis last week. He said there is currently no cure for COVID-19 only therapeutics.

“We don’t have any indication — I think you really have to depend on what you mean by

State Rep. Stephanie Kifowit to challenge House Speaker Michael Madigan for leadership post he’s held for decades

Four-term Democratic state Rep. Stephanie Kifowit of Oswego said Thursday she will challenge longtime Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan for leadership of the chamber when the new General Assembly is seated in January.

Kifowit is one of a handful of House Democrats who have called for Madigan’s resignation since federal prosecutors unveiled a deferred prosecution agreement with Commonwealth Edison in July in which the state’s largest utility admitted to a yearslong bribery scheme aimed at currying favor with the powerful speaker.

A Marine Corps veteran, Kifowit has been in the House since 2013 and is running for reelection unopposed in the November.

Kifowit said in a statement that she called for Madigan to resign “for compromising the integrity of the office and undermining public trust.”

“The response from Michael Madigan was to double down and has remained that way,” Kifowit said. “It is clear to me that he doesn’t hold the same values that I do and falls short of what the public expects from an elected official.”

Kifowit’s decision to challenge Madigan a month before the election puts vulnerable House Democrats and Democratic candidates, particularly in the suburbs, into an even more awkward position leading up to the election—whether to back Madigan or her or someone else.

It is a question many were hoping to wait out until after the election despite repeated attacks by Republicans on the issue. But her run provides new fuel to the issue.

There are also questions about the extent of support for her candidacy. Madigan still holds the power and controls the purse strings in the Democratic caucus and has made loyalty paramount during his decades long tenure as speaker.

Sign up for The Spin to get the top stories in politics delivered to your inbox weekday afternoons.

Madigan has not been

Homeless man held on $20,000 bail after allegedly hitting pedestrian by Public Garden

A 58-year-old homeless man was held on $20,000 cash bail on Friday, a day after police said he walked away after the pickup truck he stole hit a pedestrian by the Boston Public Garden, leaving her with life-threatening injuries.

Keith Andrade, whose address is listed as homeless, was arraigned Friday in Boston Municipal Court on charges including larceny of a motor vehicle, leaving the scene of a personal-injury accident, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The victim, whose name was not released, was hit after police said Andrade crashed the stolen pickup truck into the gates of the public garden. She is listed in critical condition, Boston police said.

Andrade’s $1,000 bail in a separate case was revoked. He has two active warrants out of Boston District Court for larceny from a person, police said.

Police said they arrested Andrade once they spotted him Thursday night, hours after the 4:22 p.m. crash in the area of Washington and School streets.

Police said the call first came in of a person struck at the corner of Boylston and Charles streets. Authorities were making “full notifications” soon after, which is done when someone either has died or might die.

Witness Antonio Avanti was waiting for the light on Boylston when he heard the crash and then saw smoke. He told the Herald he jumped out of his car and saw what appeared to be a young woman lying on the ground with people tending to her.

“She had an angel — there was somebody with blue scrubs who was helping her,” Avanti said.

The vehicle — a black Chevrolet Colorado, he said — had jumped the curb and smashed into the iron fencing and stone pillars that form an entrance to the Public Garden at the corner of the two

Trump held indoor fundraiser after WH knew Hope Hicks had COVID-19

  • President Donald Trump attended an indoor fundraiser in New Jersey after White House officials learned his adviser, Hope Hicks, had tested positive for COVID-19, multiple reports said.
  • According to CBS News, a small group of officials knew on Wednesday evening that Hicks had tested positive.
  • Trump attended the indoor fundraiser at his golf club around 1 p.m. EDT on Thursday.
  • It’s unclear when Trump himself learned that Hicks had tested positive and if he knew of her test result before traveling to the fundraiser.
  • The president told Fox News around 9 p.m. EDT Thursday that he got tested for the virus and was awaiting results. Bloomberg News broke the news about Hicks’ diagnosis about an hour earlier.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump attended an indoor fundraiser with his supporters on Thursday even after White House officials knew that his adviser, Hope Hicks, had tested positive for the novel coronavirus, CNN and CBS News reported.

CBS News’ Weijia Jiang tweeted that Hicks tested positive on Wednesday, and that White House aides knew about this by Wednesday evening. CNN’s Kaitlan Collins tweeted that “a small group” of White House officials “were aware” of Hicks’ positive test by Thursday morning.

Trump attended a roundtable and fundraiser at his New Jersey golf club at 1 p.m. EDT Thursday. It is not clear if he wore a mask or practiced social distancing at the events. The coronavirus typically spreads via droplets from an infected person, and a majority of infections occur indoors.

Bloomberg News first reported Thursday evening that Hicks had tested positive for the virus, which causes the disease known as COVID-19. Shortly after, around 9 p.m. EDT, Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity that both he and First Lady Melania Trump had just been tested and were

Battered woman held hostage in bathroom clawed through wall to escape

Domestic abuser Curtis Scott held his victim hostage in her bathroom, forcing the woman to claw her way through its wall to escape (Picture: Hamilton County Justice Center)

A domestic abuse victim held hostage in her own bathroom managed to claw through its wall to escape. The unnamed woman used her bare hands to scratch through the wall in July 2019, after Curtis Scott, 45, locked her inside the room at her apartment in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Scott, who was convicted of kidnapping and felony assault earlier this week, was beating the woman when she managed to break free, and locked herself in the bathroom. He fired a shot through its door, then tried unsuccessfully to break his way in.

But the woman’s ordeal was far from over, with Scott warning her that he would shoot and kill her if she attempted to flee, or call for help. Prosecutor Joe Deters said: ‘The victim endured a horrible beating at the hands of Scott. She was able to eventually get away from him and lock herself in her bathroom.

‘Scott held her hostage for 16 hours. The victim literally clawed her way through her bathroom wall and contacted neighbors to alert the police.’

Deters told the Cincinnati Enquirer that a video of the woman being beaten was ‘one of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen.’

After escaping the bathroom, the woman contacted police. Scott fled the scene before cops and a SWAT team could arrive to apprehend him. He spent three weeks on the run before finally being apprehended last August.

Scott will be sentenced on Friday, and faces up to 22 years behind bars for his crimes. Praising the victim for bringing her abuser to justice, Deters said: ‘(She) was a star witness in the trial.

‘I am always