Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell plans a vote on limited coronavirus stimulus legislation based around the Paycheck Protection Program this month.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump tweeted that lawmakers should “go big or go home” ahead of the 2020 election.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who is negotiating a potential stimulus deal with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, said the latest White House proposal “falls significantly short” of what is need to address the crisis.
The Senate will vote on a limited coronavirus stimulus bill this month, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday, as lawmakers stumble in their push to send aid to Americans before the 2020 election.
In a statement, the Kentucky Republican said the Senate would take up aid legislation after the full chamber returns on Monday. McConnell called the plan “targeted relief for American workers, including new funding” for Paycheck Protection Program small business loans. Speaking at an event in his home state, he said the bill would also include money for schools, an unemployment insurance boost and liability protections for businesses.
McConnell said in his statement that the Senate would have enough time to both pass the relief proposal and confirm Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett “unless Democrats block this aid for workers.” Democrats have in recent days targeted Republicans for moving forward with Barrett’s nomination while millions of Americans left jobless by the virus outbreak await federal assistance.
Democrats, who blocked a roughly $500 billion Republican plan in the Senate last month, could dismiss the latest GOP proposal as inadequate. A spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer did not immediately respond to a request to comment on whether Democrats
Dubai-based cloud kitchen company Sweetheart Kitchen said it plans to use funds from its recently concluded Series C round to expand its brands and reach in the region in addition to investing in technology and talent.
The 15-month old company had raised €15 million ($17.7 million) in Series C funding backed by “strategic investors” after raising a total of €21 million ($25 million) in previous Series A and B rounds.
Sweetheart Kitchen said in a statement that it plans to use the funds from the new round to launch five new brands, in addition to the 30 in its stable.
It said the company is targeting to have 12 units live in the UAE by the first quarter of 2021 and enter Saudi Arabia in the second half of 2021.
The funds will also be used to relaunch its Kuwait operations that were impacted by the pandemic lockdowns in the Gulf state.
“We plan on re-opening in January with seven kitchens and on covering over 75 percent of Kuwait by the end of second quarter of 2021 with our new brands,” the statement said, quoting marketing head Adib Samara.
CEO Peter Schatzberg said the company would continue to invest in supply chain technology, food design and hiring talent into 2021.
In April, Schatzberg had told Zawya that the company was targeting 12-15 units in the UAE and 10-12 in Kuwait in 2020.
The global cloud kitchen market size was valued at $43.1 billion in 2019 and is estimated to reach $71.4 billion by 2027 with a CAGR of 12 percent from 2021 to 2027, according to Allied Market Research.
Nine days after testing positive for Covid-19, US President Donald Trump was readying to host hundreds of partisans at the White House on Saturday, in hopes of relaunching his struggling campaign less than four weeks from Election Day.
Trump has declared he is feeling “really good” — but doubts linger over his health, with the president’s doctor appearing more concerned about pleasing his star patient than communicating transparently with the public.
“Right now I’m medication-free, I’m not taking any medications as of, you know, probably eight hours ago,” Trump told Fox News on Friday night, the first on-camera interview since his diagnosis and three-night hospitalization.
Trump plans to hold a rally Monday in the critical swing state of Florida — a decision slammed as “reckless” by his election rival Joe Biden, in light of concerns the president might still be contagious.
Undeterred, the Trump campaign announced two more rallies next week — in battleground Pennsylvania Tuesday and in Iowa on Wednesday.
And on Saturday dozens of Trump supporters with red “MAGA” heads were massing eagerly outside the White House to listen to an outdoor address expected to focus on law enforcement in Black communities.
Donald Trump returned to the White House on October 5, 2020 after spending three nights at Walter Reed military hospitalPhoto: AFP / NICHOLAS KAMM
“Trump is the kind of president, that if he is standing to defend a certain cause, he defends it,” said one of them, a US servicemember of Mexican descent named Daniel, who said he wanted to show his support for the police.
For months, taking their cue from a president who mostly shunned, and at times mocked, the wearing of masks, White House advisors were rarely seen masked inside the West Wing.
Since Trump and his wife Melania tested positive, the
President Donald Trump plans to hold an outdoor event at the White House on Saturday with hundreds of people in attendance, even though he hasn’t released a negative test for COVID-19, ABC News and The New York Times reported.
The outlets said Trump would address a crowd gathered on the White House lawn from one of the White House’s balconies.
Trump also plans to travel to a rally in Florida on Monday.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump plans to hold an outdoor event at the White House on Saturday with hundreds of people in attendance before he has released a negative test for COVID-19, outlets including ABC News and The New York Times reported on Friday.
ABC and The Times said Trump was set to give an outdoor speech from one of the White House’s balconies to a group of supporters attending a separate event hosted by the conservative commentator and Trump supporter Candace Owens.
Trump also plans to hold a campaign rally in Sanford, Florida, on Monday, he announced in a Friday tweet.
Trump, who was hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center over the weekend, has not released a negative test for the virus since his diagnosis last week.
Trump first tested positive for COVID-19 on October 1 and announced that he and first lady Melania had tested positive for the disease shortly before 1 a.m. on October 2.
The Times reported that “some in the White House and on the Trump campaign expressed concern about what the president might say in his remarks at the Saturday event” and “feared the entire event would serve to underscore existing criticism that Mr. Trump has been cavalier” about the coronavirus.
WASHINGTON—President Trump is planning to hold his first in-person events since being treated for a coronavirus infection with a gathering on Saturday at the White House and a campaign rally Monday in Florida.
Mr. Trump was scheduled to deliver remarks on Saturday at 2 p.m. from the South Portico balcony at the White House, officials said.
A White House official said Mr. Trump planned to focus his remarks on law and order issues. Officials didn’t say who would be in attendance.
Guests in attendance for the event were being requested to bring a mask with them and would be instructed to wear it on the White House grounds, an official said. All attendees would be given a temperature check and a brief questionnaire about recent symptoms, the official said.
Mr. Trump said in a tweet Friday that he would “be in Sanford, Florida on Monday for a very BIG RALLY!” Officials have been also considering travel in Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Trump said in a Fox News interview Thursday night that he might do a campaign rally in Florida Saturday and in Pennsylvania Sunday, but officials said he doesn’t plan to travel this weekend.
The Commission on Presidential Debates said Friday it decided to cancel the planned matchup next week between Mr. Trump and Joe Biden. The move followed Mr. Trump’s decision to not participate in a virtual debate.
The organizing body had previously said it was changing the format for the planned second debate on Oct. 15 from an in-person town hall in Miami to a virtual meeting. The decision came after the president and several people in the White House tested positive for coronavirus.
The president said he wouldn’t join a virtual debate, and his campaign called for the two remaining debates to be moved back. Mr. Biden’s