public

Trump will speak at a public event at the White House; it is not clear if he’s still contagious with coronavirus

But Trump has brushed aside his advisers’ calls for caution, instead embracing a political strategy built on playing down the virus and using his own battle with it to argue that the nation has already overcome the pandemic.

“People are going to get immediately better like I did. I mean, I feel better now than I did two weeks ago. It’s crazy,” Trump told Rush Limbaugh on his talk radio show Friday, a day when more than 850 Americans died of the coronavirus. “And I recovered immediately, almost immediately. I might not have recovered at all from covid.”

Isolated in the White House for a fifth straight day as his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, campaigned in Nevada, Trump spent several hours Friday venting to friendly media hosts and plotting his swift return to the campaign trail even as the status of his coronavirus infection remained unclear.

As the president prepared to participate in a televised medical evaluation on Fox News on Friday evening, his aides began to plan for what they described as a triumphant return to campaigning in the wake of his diagnosis and four-day hospitalization.

Trump’s campaign announced that he would lead a rally in Florida on Monday at an airport hangar, similar to the events he had been doing before his diagnosis. There was no indication that extra safety precautions would be in place or that social distancing would be encouraged.

“All attendees will be given a temperature check, masks which they are encouraged to wear and access to hand sanitizer,” the campaign said, using language similar to previous announcements before events where few attendees wore masks.

While Trump’s doctor said Thursday that he expected the president to be able to resume his public engagements as early as Saturday, the White House did not provide evidence Friday

White House Blocked C.D.C. From Requiring Masks on Public Transportation

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention drafted a sweeping order last month requiring all passengers and employees to wear masks on all forms of public and commercial transportation in the United States, but it was blocked by the White House, according to two federal health officials.

The order would have been the toughest federal mandate to date aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus, which continues to infect more than 40,000 Americans a day. The officials said that it was drafted under the agency’s “quarantine powers” and that it had the support of the secretary of health and human services, Alex M. Azar II, but the White House Coronavirus Task Force, led by Vice President Mike Pence, declined to even discuss it.

The two officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment, said the order would have required face coverings on airplanes, trains, buses and subways, and in transit hubs such as airports, train stations and bus depots.

A task force official said the decision to require masks should be left up to states and localities. The administration requires the task force to sign off on coronavirus-related policies.

“The approach the task force has taken with any mask mandate is, the response in New York City is different than Montana, or Tuscaloosa, Alabama,” said the official who asked not to be identified because he did not have permission to discuss the matter. “Local and state authorities need to determine the best approach for their responsive effort depending on how the coronavirus is impacting their area.”

Most public health officials believe that wearing masks is one of the most effective ways to protect against the spread of the virus, particularly in crowded, poorly ventilated public places that attract people from all over, like

Trump Should Be Able to Resume Public Events Saturday, Doctor Says

(Bloomberg) — President Donald Trump says he feels well and hopes to hold a rally on Saturday. Trump should be able to resume public events that day, his doctor said. District of Columbia health authorities urged people who attended the Rose Garden ceremony announcing Trump’s Supreme Court nominee to get tested for the coronavirus.



a man wearing a suit and tie: U.S. President Donald Trump gestures outside of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, U.S., on Monday, Oct. 5, 2020.


© Bloomberg
U.S. President Donald Trump gestures outside of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, U.S., on Monday, Oct. 5, 2020.

Trump returned to the Oval Office Wednesday for the first time since getting back to the White House Monday evening after his hospitalization at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. He said on Thursday in his first live interview since returning home that his drugs have been dialed down, and that he’s taking a steroid that isn’t “heavy.”

Key Developments:

Trump Calls Case a ‘Blessing From God,’ Hails Antibody TreatmentOne Week at the White House Was America’s Pandemic in MicrocosmTrump’s Covid Treatments and What the Options Are: QuickTakeResults of Covid-19 Tests for U.S. Politicians, Officials: List

Trump Says He Hopes to Do a Rally on Saturday

President Donald Trump said he was feeling “really good” after his bout with Covid-19 and was planning a rally on Saturday.

“I think I’m going to try doing a rally on Saturday night. If we can, if we have enough time to put it together,” he told Sean Hannity of Fox News in a telephone interview on Thursday night.

“But we want to do a rally in Florida, probably in Florida on Saturday night,” he said. “Might come back and do one in Pennsylvania on the following night.”

Earlier Thursday, Trump’s physician, Sean Conley, said in a memorandum released by the White House that Trump probably could resume public events by Saturday.

The interview with

Coronavirus live news: doctor clears Trump to return to public events on Saturday; record global case rise | World news





Trump again calls for in-person debate, citing doctor’s letter

Updated





What we know so far: Trump expected to return to public engagements on Saturday

Fundraiser set up for mother struck, seriously injured near Boston Public Garden



a car parked on a city street: A crashed truck, at Boylston and Charles streets, was involved in a serious accident, next to the Boston Public Garden.


© Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff
A crashed truck, at Boylston and Charles streets, was involved in a serious accident, next to the Boston Public Garden.

An online fundraiser has been set up for the woman injured when an allegedly stolen truck crashed near the Boston Public Garden last week.

Kamila Guimaraes had been married for just a few weeks when she was injured. She’s also the mother of a 9-year-old son, according to the GoFundMe page.

The money will go to help her pay for rent and other expenses as she recovers, the page says, noting that she may be out of work for sometime, and could remain hospitalized “for a while.” It says she’s in critical condition.

As of Thursday afternoon, the fundraiser had brought in over $16,700 of a $100,000 goal.

The crash happened around 4:23 p.m. last Thursday, Boston police said in a press release. Keith Andrade, 58, of Boston, was later arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

Get Boston.com’s browser alerts:

Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.

Turn on notifications

Great, you’re signed up!

Continue Reading

Source Article